Identity Theft

identitytheft_ForgeryIf you have been a victim or suspect you are a victim of identity theft, please click on the link below , print and fill out the forms that are necessary to file a complaint of misappropriation of personal identifying information or personal identification documents.

It is important that the forms are complete, accurate and legible. Please follow the directions in the packet. An APPOINTMENT will need to be set up, as you will need to file this complaint IN PERSON. You can arrange this by calling the Criminal Investigation Division at 459-3355, between the hours of 8:00 and 5:00 P.M. Please bring the completed packet with you, when you do come in to file the complaint.


What You Should Do If Your Identity is Stolen:

*Cancel all credit cards

*Request a letter from the bank or credit institution confirming that a fraud has been committed against you and that you are not responsible for the ensuing debt.

*Close any of your accounts that have been compromised.

*File a police report in the jurisdiction where the theft occurred and obtain a copy to show creditors.

*Call the National Credit Reporting Organizations (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion Group) to place a fraud alert on your name and social security number.

*Take notes and keep a record of conversations and make copies of correspondences. Retain this information indefinitely.

*Contact the Federal Trade Commission Identity Theft Hotline at 1-877-438-4338, (877-ID-THEFT) to file a complaint.

*Check your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles web site to determine if an unauthorized license has been issued in your name.

*After all related matters are corrected, request new credit reports to confirm that fact.

Wisconsin Public Assistance Fraud and Abuse Hotline: 1-877-865-3432.

Internet Fraud and Identity Theft Resources:

Internet Fruad Complaint Center (IFCC)

Better Business Bureau

Federal Trade Commission

Securities & Exchange Commission

National Insurance Crime Bureau

Department of Motor Vehicles